Last weekend I upgraded my Finale to the 2014 program. It was usually $450, but on sale for $99. A friend had just told me how useful it was for scanning scores into the program, and then working from that score. I could see using it that way. As I am trying to finalize formatting my NamePieces, this new program might simplify my efforts.
I wasn't sure about how to get the pieces in the old Finale program over into my new Finale, but the Professor, instructed me to just open the old pieces by going to File, >open, and then > on the old piece. Simple. I was admonished sternly never again to open any pieces in the old program. (Try to remember this).
I started formatting Matt and Alix (without the names written on the score), finalized the dynamics, tempo markings, adjusted for the newly composed sections, and how they impacted the format. I timed myself to go for 30 minutes, and then stop, so I wouldn't get cranky. This worked. With confidence, I planned how I would attack the rest of the day, and the remaining pieces.
After the 30 minute bell, I went back and worked on formatting the Matt and Alix piece with the names written on the score. I would not use dynamics or tempo markings on this, so it should go easily. The letters were already on the score, so I tweaked their position so the letters lined up perfectly with the notes. When I went back to check my work, the letters weren't positioned as I had left them, even though the staff line was locked in. I wrestled with this letter placement, but my time was soon up.
When I dutifully returned 30 minutes later, I remembered that I needed to be sure the music notation in the two scores was the same. I had eliminated some rests, added the new accompaniment, and extended the time of some notes, and when I went to change this on the "names score", the score and notation rebelled. I couldn't get the select music to work, though I kept trying insistently.
I spent some time reading tutorials and support forums about templates, thinking I could make the first score a template and then open it up, and use it to add the letters of the names. My timer was well beyond 90 minutes, and I decided to call Finale support.
I reminded myself to be pleasant- voiced with the support staff. The operator instructed that the phone was only for real tech problems (like crashes). I could look for support on the forums and tutorials, but they would (grudgingly) help me, this one time. The frustrated cur in me wanted to be let off the leash.
The connection was poor, and I had a hard time understanding the fellow who was trying to help. I asked him to slowly repeat his directions, which did not work. We tried and tried, and then he blandly mentioned that the template function really shouldn't be used for this purpose. It was to save notation formats, not scores. He said I could simply rename the new score to get two different scores. I said that had not worked for me in Finale 2012, as the first score was automatically renamed whatever the new score became. After discussing this, I had spent another hour on the phone, and realized I was getting no where.
That was it for the computer and my vista of accomplishment. I left it for the rest of the day.
Next morning, I am not returning refreshed , but I have a few ideas.
1) Watch several tutorials on Finale 2014 each day. Do not breeze through the materials.
2) Copy and paste the entire no names score onto a new score, and add LYRICS not TEXT.
3) Try an experiment on a "made-up" score, to see if I can keep the original intact, and simply rename the new score.
4) Try to scan the no names score in, and then use that for my template and add names. (Learn how to scan).
5) Think about how complex this is becoming, and omit some of the ideas. (No legato markings, no leadsheets, no more composing or note changes. etc.).